Monday, July 16, 2007

THE FINAL NEWS REPORT FOR THE WEEK YET ANOTHER STORY OF HOPE:

Malawi unveils mass HIV testing campaign: report Mon Jul 16, 9:02 AM ET

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Health officials in Malawi were preparing on Monday to launch a massive HIV testing programme to identify tens of thousands of people unknowingly infected with the virus in the southern African nation.

Many of the estimated 14 percent of Malawian adults who are HIV-positive do not know they are infected, jeopardizing efforts to stop the spread of the HIV/AIDS epidemic among sexually active teenagers and adults, the government has said.

Malawi hopes to administer voluntary HIV tests to some 130,000 people this week, according to its health department, which estimated only 1 million of Malawi's 6 million sexually active population knew their HIV status.

"This implies that the majority of Malawians do not know that they are carrying the virus because they have not gone for a test, a situation that poses a great threat to prevention efforts," health authorities said in a statement, according to South Africa's SAPA news agency.

Malawi has already lost an estimated 1 million people to AIDS since the disease first surfaced in the 1980s, straining its tiny health-care system and devastating agricultural production, the lifeblood of the local economy.

The impoverished nation continues to struggle to find enough money to put in place grassroots HIV-prevention efforts, especially in rural areas where HIV infection rates are still rising, in contrast to the declines seen in cities.

Close to 30,000 newborns are infected every year because of the government's failure to prevent mother-to-child transmission, and only a fraction of those living with HIV have access to life-saving anti-retroviral drugs, according to officials.

But AIDS activists have praised Malawi for its hands-on approach to fighting the disease, noting that it was one of the first nations in sub-Saharan Africa to implement a regular national HIV testing programme.

The current testing programme costs about $1.5 million.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Salut Mes Zamis Sak Passe!

Wassup Folkz this is me Kyon Saucier also known as Mr Kyon on A4A or Creole Elf on BGC.... Aww come on now like none of y'all are ever on those sites, yeah you are 'cause I've seen you... LOL!

Enter my world for a second... What? Huh? Well yes there are Black People in the NW and yes we have a vibrant culture up here. I mean naw Seattle aint Atlanta or NYC or DC or Chicago or any other city with a huge Black Population, but it's my home and there are few places as beautiful... Not too mention in all of the NW Seattle and Tacoma have the highest Black Population. So come on enter the world of Kyon....Yon Yon Yon.... Sigh. I was trying to make an echo sound. Now look I I know I got some typos and things so be patient with me folkz.... Cause I get excited when I write... Okay there is no excuse 'cept that it's my page I do what I want! *smile*


C'EST MOI! IT'S ME!

C'EST MOI!  IT'S ME!
Sak Passe? WAZZUUUUUPPPPP!

Bishop

Bishop
Yeah when I was younger I could've been considered a geek. Always my eyes fixed upon a world none could see. Always seeking to escape from the mundane things of this life.

But a geek I think of as dreamer, someone one who delights in things outside of the ordinary.

Just Me Again

Just Me Again
And why not? Dreams were not meant for the sleeping times

For the ordinary world need not be such a boring place. There's always more than enough room for the things that make one smile.

Wolf Rider

Wolf Rider
Bear Claw

Blood Elven Prince

Blood Elven Prince
Worlds within worlds

Drow Hunting Party

Drow Hunting Party
Dark Elven Elegance

Adieu mes zamis....

Adieu mes zamis....
May the light of Elves shine upon you....I know it's corny but this is my page!